Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 2-- Eastern European

So I know this is a late post but last Monday I made another world dinner. This time we had Sausage and Cabbage soup and Vereniki/Pierogi. The soup would have been super delicious but I unfortunately got the gross sausage at the store. I have gotten it one time before and we didn't like the flavor. It has a very heavy spice in it (we think it is anise, and/or rosemary). It kind of tastes like licorice. While I was at the store I was debating which sausage to get remembering the previous experience, well out of a 50/50 chance I picked the wrong one. So minus that detail the soup was delicious. I didn't like cabbage growing up, but this was good.
The Vereniki were the best part though. They are basically a dumpling (or similar to an Asian pot sticker). I made the dough and then decided to use the mashed potato filling. The filling had caramelized onions, garlic and mashed potatoes. It was so tasty! I ended up eating most of them (Lin thought they were really good; I was addicted). So they are definitely going on the make again list.
I am sorry that I didn't get any pictures, we were mostly through eating when I remembered and there weren't really any Vereniki left and I just didn't take any pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I love Piergoi! It is one of my favorite things ever. I might have to come and steal the receipe...because I always buy them frozen.

    ReplyDelete