Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Learning from a master

So I have had one of the neatest experiences ever! This week I got to learn at the feet of Mihalyi Gabor (Misi). He is the director for the premier Hungarian State Folk Dance Ensemble. That is the top professional performing group in Hungary, and he is the most well known choreographer there. He has been teaching my Hungarian Dance class, which has been so much fun. He doesn't speak very much English so his partner (a dancer from the company) translates. He has such an enthusiasm for dance and even though we don't speak the same language you can feel his love for it. This morning he also taught my World Dance Choreography class. He talked about how he choreographs and why he does what he does. He also showed us some videos of his performances.It is amazing! It would have been amazing just to meet him, but to have him teach has been even better. We took a picture with him in my Hungarian class; if I can track it down I will post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment