Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sorry its been so long!

So it has been a very long time since I last wrote; I have had a lot to write about but no time to write. Things have been crazy in our life right now. School is INSANE I knew that 15 credits would be difficult (I have done it before) but my classes are in some ways ridiculous.
First off two of my classes are practically the same. Over the course of the semester we work in groups to write an intervention/marketing plan. That is the basis of our grade. Along the way we turn in worksheets that help us work through the process of forming these plans. This idea actually is exciting to me because it feels more like what I would potentially be doing for work rather than just lectures. In my social marketing class it is going pretty well. My teacher designated a topic (Reducing Morbidity in Hispanics with diabetes) and we have gone through research and segmentation to come up with our target population. Currently we are working on coming up with our solution to the problems of our target population.
In my methods of health promotion class we are basically doing a similar project but we picked our own topic based on a recent publication from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They published the Six Winnable Battles in December. My group is focused on the battle of Obesity and from there we have narrowed in on environmental influences in low income areas. This project is not working nearly as well. This is the first semester my teacher has done this project and while it is a great idea and he has great intentions (trying to get us published as undergrads on a brand new subject) it is so overly organized that it is unorganized. . . .We had these worksheets to do which were beastly. They were super detailed and confusing and while he thought they explained his intentions none of the groups did them how he wanted. After we had struggled to complete a worksheet we would have a lecture where we learned the purpose behind the worksheet. Unfortunately it always seemed to me that if I had known the intention BEFORE I had done it I would have done it differently because the way we did it wasn't helpful in the scope of things. So then the next worksheet would be handed out and it was like starting over when it should have been building on the last one. I just feel like this class is very backwards. Our teacher wants us to find and understand what he wants when we all feel he should just come out and tell us his expectations.
On top of this project and worksheets we have reading, reading write-ups, thought papers on video segments, and of course the midterm. If it were up to me we would just focus on the project so we could do a good job. So while I like those classes they are wearing on me.
This past week has been especially hard. I don't normally like to talk about my health problems because I hate being asked if I am okay and frankly I don't like talking about it. This past while however my medications have been off. I have been thinking my thyroid medication was off but my doctor's office phone number "is unallocated" according to the operator. Since I don't really know what that means I have been unsure whether to just find a new doctor or if there is a new phone number. I don't know. Finally Valentines weekend I started having problems. I thought I was getting the flu but I never really did, I just felt crappy. Then my blood calcium level plummeted. This meant my hands started to cramp up, I had digestive problems, and overall I just felt achy and twitchy. Monday I stayed home from school and I decided I had to find a doctor. I called up the Springville clinic to see if they had anyone that could regulate my medication. They did, so I made an appointment for Wednesday. Tuesday I forced myself to go to work and school. The cramps and pain would go in waves, but I was having a hard time holding a pencil and I couldn't type. Wednesday I went to the appointment and they drew my blood. It takes a few days to get the results so nothing very helpful yet. After the appointment it was downhill for me. My symptoms started getting more constant and more severe. Finally I called urgent care to see if there was anything they could do to get my calcium level up. When I originally had this problem the nurses taking care of me just had me taking extra calcium but online I had found things that said for severe symptoms IV treatment is necessary. The nurse told me to go to the ER. So at 9:30 in the middle of a snowstorm Lin drove us all the way to Timpanogos Hospital. As we drove I got worse and by the time we got there I was having a hard time talking. They put me on some anxiety medication while they waited for blood test results. This helped my cramping some but I also ended up needing oxygen because I felt like my lungs were cramping. My calcium was super low (3.2) It is supposed to be between 8-10 normally. They put me on a calcium drip of some sort and said I had to stay laying down because getting that much calcium can cause heart problems. So after two 30 min treatments  and 6 hours later we left. We got home at 3 AM and I got up at 5 to go to work because I  had no way to get a sub that early in the morning. My boss let me leave as soon as I got the breakfast food out and the lunch cases full. That afternoon I was feeling so much better. Low calcium can make you depressed so it had been a very rough week mentally as well as physically. On Saturday I found out that my Thyroid level is super high which would cause my calcium to be lower because  the thyroid hormone takes calcium out of the blood to put in the bones. Basically I just haven't been able to keep up with it by taking supplements and slowly my calcium has been slipping lower and lower. So now that we know all of that hopefully we can get some maintenance going on. So in answer to all of your questions, "Yes I am fine. It was rough, but we are working it out."
I have the best husband though. He spent part of that ER visit sleeping on the floor of the hospital until we were the only people in the ER and the nurses gave him the bed next door. He has been great to take care of me, not mind that I haven't cooked or cleaned, and have been super irritable all the time.
We had a  make-up Valentines date on Friday. We cooked steaks, fries and made home-made ice cream. He has been amazing!
So on top of that fun excitement I have 3 midterms this weekend. My methods one was crazy hard but it is done, my Environmental health class is take home, open note, etc, but I haven't done the reading so those questions take some searching, and my social marketing one is on Tues/Wed. So much for a nice long weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Shaina!!!!! you need to call me! don't just let things go! This is seriously scary!

    ReplyDelete