Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Girls Camp

I was going to break this post in to separate posts for each day, but I decided not too so this will be a long one.
MONDAY July 26th
Our stake went to the Heber Valley camp this year. We were in the cabins known as Camp Abish. After  a long bus ride we arrived and settled into camp. The first day was mostly welcome, and rule setting, etc; the theme was "Be Strong" from Joshua 1:9 "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the aLord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. " In total we had about 17 girls, and 7 or 8 leaders there (sometimes more).  In the afternoon we had a stake activity. The YCLs (youth camp leaders) taught us the Haka with words about being strong.



  We also played a version of minute to win it. If you haven't seen the TV show basically the competitors are asked to complete a random, really random task in 60 sec. In this case it was just the first person to complete it. There were tasks such as pulling kleenex out of the box with one hand, stacking 4 cookies on your forehead (Jina did that one in about 3 sec), putting a cookie on your forehead than getting it into your mouth without using your hands, keeping 3 balloons in the air as long as possible, sorting m&ms into groups by color, and putting a cereal box picture back together. I am sure I didn't remember all of them, but here are some pictures of the fun.
Sorting M&Ms

Stacking Cookies

Jina with her winnings

Dusty --keeping 3 balloons in the air

Shelley--unrolling toilet paper rolls by spinning your hands

Megan trying to eat the cookie

It was a hilarious game and I think everybody had a lot of fun.

When we got back into camp Shaina (thats right our ward camp director's name is Shaina) had some games for us to play. The first was a cow game and it was funny. It is one of those trick games meant to embarrass the person. What was extra funny is that the first time Jessica forgot she wasn't supposed to "Moo" and so she mooed all by herself, really loud. That wasn't supposed to happen which made it even funnier.

We also played a game where you tell the person to entertain you and when the "audience" is entertained they will clap. The real thing is that the "audience" is just copying what the entertainer is doing so they have to clap to get the audience to clap. We played this game with some of the stake leaders and the one lady sang a whole song for us, while laughing because we were all copying her movements finally she started to clap. It was really funny.
For Family Home Evening we had a beauty pageant with a focus on different kinds of hearts because our ward theme was about having Strong Hearts.

















TUES
I got to go on a hike with our first year girls and Dusty. It was suprisingly a harder hike than I imagined and our girls kind of struggled, but the view in the end was worth it.
L-R: Dusty, Mackenzie, Heidi, Joy, Kaycie






 







Later that afternoon we got to go canoeing on the lake. Dusty and I got to use a paddle-boat just in case anyone fell. It was a good leg workout thats for sure.





After the lake we had a service project which was helping to spread wood chips on one of the paths. The girls did a good job and Shaina was her usually funny self.






We also received some bad news on Tues. Brandon Curtis (one of the priests in our ward) was in a car accident and was in very critical condition. Shanae and Heidi left with the bishopric. When we got back Sis. Gibb told the girls what happened. 

We were able to have a fire that night which was fun. We had HUGE marshmallows to make smores with.



Wed
We got to go to the challenge course. There were lots of stations where the girls had to work together to solve the problem and then there was a zipline as well.



























We also found out on Wed that Brandon had passed away. This was hard news and we had to tell the girls. It was a very hard moment for everyone, but I think it brought us closer to each other and closer to the Spirit as well. We were able to have a late campfire and the stake leaders came and spoke with us and sang some songs. It was a good experience in the long run, I think, even though it is incredibly sad. It had rained earlier that day so the fire pit was very wet. Jina, Jessie, and I managed to keep a flame going even though we had to almost constantly blow on it. by the time the fire pit dried and a real fire started it was time to go to bed.

THURS
It was Joy's birthday so we had a special birthday breakfast. It was delicious just like every meal. We as leaders decided to try to cheer everyone up because it kind of seemed like everyone was having a rough camp after the news. We had been talking into the night and decided to do a lip sync for the girls. We had a bunch of random props that the girls had for their skit that night. We told the girls to meet out in front of our cabin. We came out in all the props and did a lip synch to "Don't Stop Believin'" the Glee version. I got to sing the boys part and Tina sang the girls. Shaina played air drums, Jina had a broom guitar, Dusty air guitar, Amy played bass, and Marie, Mary and Becky were the pregnant back up dancers/singers. Becky isn't really pregnant, but Mary and Marie look about the same size so Becky put a towel in her shirt to match. It was a big hit with the girls. So much so that they insisted we ask the stake if we could perform it at the skit night. The stake thought it was a good idea as well so we got an encore performance infront of the whole stake. Our band name is Crimson Tears. Here are some pictures. I know one of the girls videoed it I will try and get that to post as well.


























Okay so some of those pictures are a little embarrassing, but I hope you enjoyed them.
If you are still reading this, I am to my final bit about camp. The girls did a skit and did a synchronized swimming idea. It was really good, and really funny. The girls did a great job playing up the parts.



Well that is about all I have to write about girls camp. I had a great time and really feel like I know both the leaders and the girls a lot more. Go Kolob 1st ward :)

1 comment:

  1. Love all your pictures!! You definitely got a lot more than I did. We should swap.....or more you should just give me yours. hahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete